In 1911, a group of nine local businessmen, led by Fred P. Cone, met to discuss business and financing in Columbia County. Their objective: open a new bank that would offer friendly, neighborhood service, good and solid enough to last a lifetime. That bank was Columbia Bank. Opening in February of 1912 with $50,000 in capital, Columbia Bank’s roots have been firmly planted in Columbia County for over 100 years.
Cone, who would later become Governor of Florida, wanted to make Lake City and Columbia County become a more attractive, desirable, and wholesome place to raise a family. Columbia Bank grew with Lake City under Mr. Cone’s leadership until 1947.
From 1948 to 2000, Columbia Bank continued to grow and prosper under the guidance of the Summers and Green families. The bank opened Columbia County’s first drive-in during the 1950’s, moved in to its current home on Hillsboro Street during the 1970’s, opened the first full-service supermarket bank in Florida during the 1980’s, and offered extended banking hours during the 1990’s while being named “Best Bank” by the readers of the local newspaper, and a five-star institution for seven consecutive years. Columbia County Bank became Columbia Bank effective July 1st, 2006.
Additional locations have been added in Columbia, Alachua, and Marion counties. Although we have grown substantially, we continue to operate as a traditional, customer-focused, community bank.
Columbia Bank is heavily capitalized, allowing us to remain self-funded throughout the recession years and with no request for Federal relief funds. We are proud that, from humble beginnings, we gave grown to be one of the oldest and strongest financial institutions in the state of Florida.
With so many choices in banking today, we believe that the difference in banking – and banking excellence – begins with us!